Frequently Asked Questions

What is "Offer vs. Serve"?

"Offer vs. Serve" is a USDA regulation. The goals of Offer vs. Serve are to reduce food waste and to permit students to choose the foods they want to eat.

All Hawley ISD campuses participate in Offer vs. Serve in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and the National School Breakfast Program (NSBP).

The five components of the NSLP are: Meat/Meat Alternate, Fruit, Vegetable, Grain, & Milk.

Students must take at least 3 components, including a fruit or vegetable at lunch.

The components of the NSBP are: Grain, Juice/Fruit/Vegetable, & Milk.

Students must take 3 items at breakfast.

Must my child purchase an entire meal?

We encourage students to take a reimbursable meal so they partake of a healthy well balanced meal. Another benefit of the reimbursable meal is the low cost of the meal. Any student is allowed to purchase just an entrée or the side items at ala carte prices, which will be more than the cost of a reimbursable meal. Students who are smart shoppers and purchase a reimbursable meal get the biggest bang for their buck.

How do I put money on my child's meal account?

Parents have three options for putting money on their child's meal account:

Check: A check may be written to Hawley ISD Cafeteria and brought to any cafeteria cashier.

Cash: Cash may be brought to any cafeteria cashier.

Online: www.myschoolbucks.com is a convenient, private, and secure online service. Each transaction will have a small fee applied by myschoolbucks. You may also check your child's meal history and their meal account balance. Please call the cafeteria if you need assistance setting up an account for your child.

How do I know when my child's meal account is low?

Low Balance & Negative Balance letters are mailed home to elementary students on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Low Balance Letters will contain the statement "The cafeteria account balance of the student above is:". Negative Balance Letters contain the statement "According to our records, your cafeteria account cash balance for the student listed above is -$...." Middle school and high school students are told by the cashiers when their accounts are low.

What if my child requires a special diet or diet modifications?

USDA regulations require that a statement signed by a licensed physician must support requests for special diet modifications. The signed statement must be provided to the school nurse, who will then provide it to the cafeteria. Meal pricing will not affected by any dietary modifications. We encourage parents to educate their child about what foods should be avoided.

Why is there no charging allowed at the snack bar or for ala carte items?

The snack bar and ala carte items are optional items for students. This policy is in place to help parents financially.

What happens if I forget to send money with my child and they are at the charge limit?

A low cost reimbursable meal will be offered at no charge to the student.

What is the Summer Food Service Program?

The Summer Food Service Program was developed to ensure that children in low-income areas could continue to receive nutritious meals during the summer. The SFSP provides meals between school sessions at NO CHARGE to anyone 18 years of age or younger. The child does not have to attend Hawley ISD, or live in or near Hawley. No forms are required to be signed. All children will be provided a free meal whether they have full price, reduced, or free status. It's really just that simple!